Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Domestic!

Mom and I went grocery/coupon shopping on Saturday morning and when we were driving home she said to me something along the lines of "Sometimes I'm surprised how domestic you turned out to be." 

Hmmmm. I've been pondering this statement ever since.

And it's true. I am domestic. Why it's a surprise, I'm not really sure.  Perhaps it's because I used to adamantly tell her that I would never cook dinner every night like she does. 

I think I have a love/hate relationship with cooking.  I love to cook when I have lots of time but I hate to cook if it's even remotely expected of me.  But give me a free Sunday afternoon and I'll cook ya a roast with veggies and potatoes, some BBQ chicken in the crock pot that you can take to work for lunch, some homemade salad dressing to dress your lovely greens, and a pan of brownies, baby.  Yeah.  Unfortunately, those free Sunday afternoons don't present themselves as often as I'd like.

But being domestic isn't just about cooking now, is it?  For me, it's a whole lot more.  It's about my home, whatever or wherever that may be at that time.  Right now it's a cute Cape Cod that is across the street from a corn field.  Before that it was in a 1950's ranch in a subdivision with many other 1950's ranch homes.  Before that it was in a barn home.  You get the idea.

As much as I love to be social, I really love to be at home just as much, if not more.  I mean, I really, really, really love to be home.  Sometimes in conversation people will say things like, "I'm going crazy being at home all the time," or "I need to get out of this house," or my favorite, "I'm bored."  Something about those sentences doesn't make sense to me.  Bored?  I'm telling you, my brain does NOT understand those words.  I would LOVE to be home all the time.  Well, most of the time.  I am never bored here.  There are always walls to paint or new duvet covers to sew or. . . .get it?

So, this cooking thing, and this being home thing.  Domestic.  I am lovingly nurturing my surroundings, taking care of my troops (no kids yet, but Country and the dogs count, don't they?) and I love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment